Monday, December 18, 2006

Breakthrough


Hoss and I have a special connection. He is my heart-hound. He comes up to me in those special ways and shows me his affection. (And for a dog that doesn't give kisses, this usually involves him rubbing his head up and down my leg, often getting hair all over my dress pants before work. ) When I brought Bud into the house, I tried to make sure that I equally showed my affection to the two boys. I didn't want Bud to feel like the second.

I got him at the end of October, and since then, I've been waiting for the signs that Bud was finally feeling at home. It took Hoss about a month, so I was expecting to see signs around Thanksgiving. But Thanksgiving came and went, and he still seemed nervous and unsettled. I was starting to worry that he wasn't ever going to love being with us.

I think it was last week when I noticed the first sign. It was a weekday morning. After my shower, I usually sit down by the boys and give them belly rubs to wake them up before breakfast. If ever I am giving belly rubs, Hoss will whine if I stop rubbing for a split second. That morning was the first time Bud reached out with his paw and touched my arm when I paused for a mere moment. When they start to care whether you are paying attention or not is when I know that they are becoming attached. I saw the switch in Hoss, and finally, now in Bud. I'm so excited. Now I know, when I look into his perpetually pouty eyes, that he loves me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a cute pup. Our newest grey is finally starting to understand that he's found his forever home. It's so wonderful when they reach that moment that they know they're finally safe. Bless you for saving greys.

Iowa Greyhound said...

The reminder paw is a good sign. There's always a bit of an adjustment, then suddenly everything clicks.

The greys take their new surroundings so well. It would have to feel like an alien abduction to a person.

LittleRachet said...

James - thanks for your kind words

ia grey - you are probably right, and it is amazing how quickly they adapt.